Face Mask Sewing Tutorial
Hi everyone!
With the recent Coronavirus pandemic, I have enlisted myself in sewing masks for medical professionals in need. I have had some people ask me what pattern I'm using and to be honest, I cannot find the original one I started with and I have adapted it a bit as I went along. I have tried a variety of different patterns and methods, but I have found my favorite to be the one I'm about to share with you. It does take a bit more time than some other ways, but I think it's the most effective. Now I'm NOT a medical professional, but based on what I've been reading about the needs, this method seems to be best.
The top 3 things that I've come to find that are important for a good mask are:
1. 100% cotton with at least 2 layers
2. pocket for N95 filter
3. ties
I made a lot of masks with elastic and I'm sure they are helpful too. However, everyone's heads and faces are different sizes and shapes so I think the ties are a better way so they can be adjustable. This pattern has all of those things, but also includes one (optional) other cool thing. When making the masks I notice a lot of them gapped around the nose. This pattern include a moldable nose piece. I thought this was SO cool when I figured out how to do it. This allows the mask to sit closer to the cheek bones and further help prevent things from getting underneath it. Again, I'm not a medical professional, but this seemed to be very helpful when trying to protect the nose and face. It is optional though so don't worry about it if you don't have the supplies.
Ok! Here we go!
Supplies:
3 pre-washed, 100% cotton rectangles 9"x7"
2 pieces of double fold bias tape at least 38" long (I show you how to make your own in this tutorial)
6" of floral wire for nose piece
Sewing machine, thread, needles, scissors, etc.
1. With right sides together, pin two rectangles in each corner and mark a halfway point along the 7" side seam. Sew about 2.5 inches in to the middle, back-stitching at beginning and end of stitch. Do this on both sides.
2. Fold the top half of the rectangle down and the bottom half of the opposite side up. This creates your pocket opening. Your fabric should be right side out on both sides.
3. Iron the pocket piece flat.
4. Pin the third rectangle, right sides together, to the pocket rectangle.
5. Sew along the 7" side.
6. Turn fabric right sides out and iron flat.
7. Fold mask in half and iron.
8. Fold top edge in to the middle and iron. Do the same for the bottom edge. This creates your pleat fold lines.
9. Next is the bias tape. If you don't have double fold bias tape, you can easily make your own by cutting strips of fabric 2" in width and 38" in length.
10. Take the strip and fold in half down the length and press.
11. Open the strip and fold both top and bottom edge in to the middle and press.
12. Fold the strip in half to create a thin, encased piece of bias tape.
13. Fold one strip in half to find the center point and match to the center of the front of the mask. (The pocket should be face down at this point)
14. Sew along the pressed line closest to the edge of the fabric on both the top and bottom of the mask.
15. Flip the mask over so the pocket is now face up.
16. Take your piece of wire and fold ends over so they are not sharp and won't poke through the fabric.
17. Place the wire up under the top edge of the bias tape, centered, and fold tape over.
18. Pin on either side of the wire and sew a line across the bias tape on each side. This makes it so the wire does not move around.
19. Take each end of the bias tape and sew a line, right sides together.
20. Turn right sides and and fold in to create a clean, encased end. Do this for each end.
21. Sew along open edge of bias tape from end to end on top and bottom of the mask.
22. Now it's time to make your pleats. I always like to start and the top and go down. That way I know how far up my first pleat needs to be. Pinch the fold line and bring fabric up about 3/8 of an inch. (more than a 1/4, less than a half) Pin in place. Do this for each pleat on both sides.
23. Sew a line down each side of the mask, securing the pleats in place.
There you have it!
This is the FIRST time I have done a sewing tutorial so please, if you have questions let me know! I'll try my best to clarify. This pattern takes a bit of time the first time, but now I'm flying through making them! Hope you enjoy.
Happy sewing!
Lacy
With the recent Coronavirus pandemic, I have enlisted myself in sewing masks for medical professionals in need. I have had some people ask me what pattern I'm using and to be honest, I cannot find the original one I started with and I have adapted it a bit as I went along. I have tried a variety of different patterns and methods, but I have found my favorite to be the one I'm about to share with you. It does take a bit more time than some other ways, but I think it's the most effective. Now I'm NOT a medical professional, but based on what I've been reading about the needs, this method seems to be best.
The top 3 things that I've come to find that are important for a good mask are:
1. 100% cotton with at least 2 layers
2. pocket for N95 filter
3. ties
I made a lot of masks with elastic and I'm sure they are helpful too. However, everyone's heads and faces are different sizes and shapes so I think the ties are a better way so they can be adjustable. This pattern has all of those things, but also includes one (optional) other cool thing. When making the masks I notice a lot of them gapped around the nose. This pattern include a moldable nose piece. I thought this was SO cool when I figured out how to do it. This allows the mask to sit closer to the cheek bones and further help prevent things from getting underneath it. Again, I'm not a medical professional, but this seemed to be very helpful when trying to protect the nose and face. It is optional though so don't worry about it if you don't have the supplies.
Ok! Here we go!
Supplies:
3 pre-washed, 100% cotton rectangles 9"x7"
2 pieces of double fold bias tape at least 38" long (I show you how to make your own in this tutorial)
6" of floral wire for nose piece
Sewing machine, thread, needles, scissors, etc.
2. Fold the top half of the rectangle down and the bottom half of the opposite side up. This creates your pocket opening. Your fabric should be right side out on both sides.
3. Iron the pocket piece flat.
5. Sew along the 7" side.
7. Fold mask in half and iron.
8. Fold top edge in to the middle and iron. Do the same for the bottom edge. This creates your pleat fold lines.
9. Next is the bias tape. If you don't have double fold bias tape, you can easily make your own by cutting strips of fabric 2" in width and 38" in length.
10. Take the strip and fold in half down the length and press.
11. Open the strip and fold both top and bottom edge in to the middle and press.
12. Fold the strip in half to create a thin, encased piece of bias tape.
13. Fold one strip in half to find the center point and match to the center of the front of the mask. (The pocket should be face down at this point)
14. Sew along the pressed line closest to the edge of the fabric on both the top and bottom of the mask.
16. Take your piece of wire and fold ends over so they are not sharp and won't poke through the fabric.
17. Place the wire up under the top edge of the bias tape, centered, and fold tape over.
18. Pin on either side of the wire and sew a line across the bias tape on each side. This makes it so the wire does not move around.
19. Take each end of the bias tape and sew a line, right sides together.
20. Turn right sides and and fold in to create a clean, encased end. Do this for each end.
22. Now it's time to make your pleats. I always like to start and the top and go down. That way I know how far up my first pleat needs to be. Pinch the fold line and bring fabric up about 3/8 of an inch. (more than a 1/4, less than a half) Pin in place. Do this for each pleat on both sides.
23. Sew a line down each side of the mask, securing the pleats in place.
There you have it!
This is the FIRST time I have done a sewing tutorial so please, if you have questions let me know! I'll try my best to clarify. This pattern takes a bit of time the first time, but now I'm flying through making them! Hope you enjoy.
Happy sewing!
Lacy






































Comments
Post a Comment