A Mother's Plea for Change
I sit here holding my brand new baby girl thinking about her future. I wonder what talents she’ll have, what her favorite foods are, what she’ll decide to be when she grows up and as I think about those things, my dreamy thoughts are tainted with fear. Of course every new mom has fears of some kind or another, but the fears that lay heavy on my heart are unique. In the world we currently live in, there is a fear that other generations have not experienced. Every day as I turn on the morning news the headlines inform me of dangers in this country that can unexpectedly take my brand new, very innocent baby away from me. First, before I get too in depth, I’d like to state that as an individual, I respect others’ opinions, beliefs, rights, etc. I don’t typically impose mine on others unless asked to, but this subject I believe is something that I need to speak out about. For a voice that is unspoken is unheard, and this is something that needs to be heard.
Every night I pray that my children are safe. Safe from harm in all forms but especially from becoming victims of gun violence. There is an epidemic in our current state that is running ramped, taking the lives of so many innocent people of all ages. And what’s worse; we are letting it happen. Over and over and over. If you’re up to date on even a shred of news I’m sure you’ve heard the very popular statement that “guns don’t kill people, people kill people.” Well I’m here to say bullshit. In the very literal sense of the statement yes, an inanimate object alone with no one to operate it does not have the ability to kill someone, that is true. But are guns made to just sit there without firing? They are not. The very purpose of the tool is to inflict damage on the object, or person in this matter. People are using these guns to kill other people and in devastating fashions. Guns that are made strictly to cause maximum damage to a mass of people, guns that are used by our military for our enemies are being used on our public. On our CHILDREN. And the response those who have the authority to do something about it is “thoughts and prayers”.
Now, I am a Christian woman, brought up in a home where guns resided. I was taught how to use a gun responsibly and the impact it could have if not used responsibly. I myself do not utilize my right to bear arms but those close to me do and I respect and honor that right due fully. The second amendment comes up a lot when talking about gun control and what I’d like to point out before going any further is that that amendment was made many years ago in an effort to give our people the right to protect themselves. That right is still relevant which is why I don’t believe it should be done away with. I don’t believe those who are responsible and honor the law should have their guns taken away. I DO believe that those who do not do those things should not retain that right.
I believe in the power of prayer and I always send good thoughts and vibes and energy to those in need. I understand that those gestures are important. To be included in someone else’s very private prayer to their maker is not something to just be brushed off. If I include someone in my prayers that is a very pure and honest gesture. But I also believe God has given us the gift of listening and the power of choice. I believe The time has come to listen up. Listen to the families that have lost someone in these tragedies. Listen to the victims of the violence. Choose to make an effort to stop these awful events from happening.
In my humble opinion, this is a call for stricter gun laws. We need to do everything we can to slow down these individuals who want to create the maximum amount of damage in the most efficient way possible. Guns that fire rapid amounts of bullets that have been used in so many of mass shootings need to be less accessible to the public. Or at least there needs to be a better screening system for individuals buying them. How many times have we heard of shooters who have given off signs, that have even been looked into by the government, and they were still able to buy the gun? Legally!! Why are we ignoring these red flags? A response I’ve gotten to this plea has been “if someone wants to hurt someone and can’t obtain the gun legally, they’re just going to get it illegally”. My response to that is, yes, if someone really really is intent on getting a gun, I’m sure they will. However, in many cases the more hoops someone has to jump through to do something, the more likely it is that they will either not go through with it, or they’ll have been slowed down enough to get caught. Another response I’ve gotten has been; that’s still not a full proof solution. People are still going to get the guns and cause harm. My response; if we are able to deter and stop at least one mass shooting by enforcing stricter laws, it could be potentially saving multiple lives. That could be the only thing that stopped someone from taking your life, your child’s life on any given day. Isn’t that something worth trying? Isn’t even one life worth saving? It may not be a full proof solution, I guarantee its not in actuality. But it is better than what we are currently doing right now which is nothing. We need to make a statement to the disease in our country that gun violence will no longer be tolerated.
I’m not sure if my solution is the best one or if anyone else agrees with my thoughts. My reason for writing this isn’t to spark some political debate or war of words. This is my plea for change. If not stricter laws and speaking out against gun violence, what then? I ask you to ask yourself; what would my solution be and what kind of impact would it have? Really think about it and see if you can come up with something better and then do something with it. No longer will I sit at home debating and talking within my own walls while letting others do the same. This is a call for action.
Tonight, as I finish writing this, I will pray for the families of the victims of gun violence, but I will also pray that someone hears my plea and does something with it. I pray that the leaders with the power to change laws hear me and do something. I pray, that soon, I this fear will not be one of the ones in the many that I carry as a mother.
Comments
Post a Comment