Food, friends, and memories

Thanksgiving is typically not one of my favorite holidays.  I don't really like eating a ton of heavy, high in calories food until I'm stuffed to the point of sickness.  Also, as the years go by, I notice that the one day we dedicate to be gracious and thankful for the things we have, keeps getting cut down by Black Friday's madness.  I remember when none of the stores were open on Thanksgiving Day and my whole family spent time together talking and snacking and watching festive things on the TV.  Now, stores like Walmart are open pretty much all day on Thanksgiving and on into the early morning of the next day.  People camp outside stores like they're starving and need some food before it runs out and they starve to death.  They get trampled by other greedy customers who are grabbing up everything they can even if they don't need it just because it's on sale.  Sales associates leave their families early on Thanksgiving to go prepare for the immensity of shoppers that will soon fill the stores.  The point is, I don't really care for Thanksgiving, especially as time has gone by. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised to have ended my Thanksgiving with a very happy and warm heart.  

I have to say, this has been probably one of the best Thanksgivings I've had in a awhile.  Tony started off the loveliness by going to the store on Sunday and getting everything we needed for our dinner.  I didn't have to prepare a list or wade through the crowds at the grocery store after a long day of work.  Our friends, Lora and Justin, came to visit from Tampa on Wednesday bringing with them their sweet dogs.  We spent that evening talking, drinking wine/beer, watching all FOUR big dogs play in the living room, and just catching up.  This morning we woke up and put on the traditional Macy's parade while we prepared some of the food for later today.  The day was spent lounging, lightly snacking, and even a little bit of napping.  I of course indulged in my FAVORITE tradition, of my own making,  of drinking mimosas all day.  mmmm! Tony and Justin built a wonderful fire in our never been used (by us) fireplace while I sat in my comfy chairs and drank my mimosa.  As it drew near to dinner time, I set the table with our wedding china and made the last preparations on the food.  We also invited our favorite Canadians, Jillane and Wes, to have Thanksgiving with us.  

Dinner turned out amazingly.  I was surprised how good the turkey turned out considering I did most of the work on the bird.  I think we all know that I try my best at domesticity, but cooking has never been my forte.  Don't get me wrong, my food is never nasty, but it's never AMAZING either. Tony is really the chef in this household.  Nevertheless, the bird was moist and flavorful.  I ate until I was satisfied, but not stuffed, and didn't feel sick afterward. Yes! 

We ended the night with a round of Battle of the Sexes and Smart Ass, two trivia games that were quite hilarious to partake in.  The boys dominated in Battle of the Sexes, not that I'm surprised because our men truly do pay attention although they pretend not to. ;)

Nothing really spectacular happened today to make it so great, but the people we spent it with really made the difference.  Although I do miss my family during the holidays, having our friends here was so great.  There aren't many people in the world that you can truly be yourself with and there are even fewer COUPLES that you and your spouse BOTH get along with.  Justin and Lora, and Jillane and Wes are two couples that I could not be more thankful to be friends with.  Tony and I feel completely at home with all four of them and ended up having the greatest laughs and creating memories I'll always keep.  Today and everyday, I am thankful for the people in my life that just make life better. Here's what our day looked like:












To all my friends who partake in the Black Friday madness, or are subject to it because of employment, I wish you luck and pray that you don't lose sight of what the real purpose of gift giving is about.  With the Christmas season drawing near, I hope everyone makes the decision to give out of love and not out of obligation, and receive with grace not expectation.  

Quote for the day:
"Today I give thanks to everyone who has been a part of my life's journey"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Face Mask Sewing Tutorial

One Year Later...

A Bit of Holiday Cheer