A Very Merry Christmas

Christmas at the Danielson's was a success!  This year we were happy to host the holiday at our house for Tony's family.  His mom, dad, brother, and sister made the long 14 hour trip from Michigan to Florida expecting sunshine and warmth.  Unfortunately, it seems that the universe had other ideas about what a "Floridian Christmas" was.  Anyone who comes to Florida expects some beach time and maybe some fruity drinks, however, this week we needed sweatshirts and cocoa instead.  Temperatures were about 30-45 degrees and cloudy and rainy the first couple days after they arrived.  For some reason I always feel responsible for the bad weather when someone visits and try to come up with other ways to entertain.  I've had to work every day this week except for Christmas day, which has not been so great, but when I finally get off work it's been nice to come home to a buzzing household.  Sunday I carried on my annual tradition of a "bake-a-thon" making 3 (almost 4) kinds of cookies.  I hardly ever get an excuse to make baked goods mostly because it's just Tony and I at home and eating baked good is not exactly the best way to stay in shape. haha! Having people here enabled me to enjoy baking and just a couple treats before everyone else made them vanish.  Yes! 

Christmas Eve I was inspired by Mrs. Stacy Kerr's facebook post the other day about paying it forward at McDonalds.  I decided to pay it forward at Starbucks by buying the customer in the drive thru's drink.  I also got all my tellers at work a little hot chocolate.  It truly does feel good to give.  I worked a (crazy) half day then came home to take our very excited pups to the park to get some energy out. Thankfully the sun came out, but it was still pretty chilly.  Yes, I KNOW, people back home, that it's not very cold!  But after weeks of 80 degrees, 45 feels cold. haha! That night we went to see the new Hobbit movie, which I thought was really good.  It was definitely long, but I really enjoyed it.  After the movie,  we all came home and opened one gift, which of course was pajamas!  Even I was surprised about my pjs because Tony bought mine at Victoria Secret without me knowing.  :)  I have yet to get a picture of everyone in their Christmas jammies, but the night is not over yet! hehehe...

Christmas Day Tony and I woke up at 6am.  Maybe we're used to waking up that early, or maybe we were just excited. Who knows.  The best part about being married to Tony is that he is as equally impatient as I am.  Not too long after we got up, he was running around the house sicking the dogs on everyone to wake them up too.  He built a lovely fire in the fireplace while I made cinnamon rolls to allure everyone into the living room.  This is where traditions differ a bit; on Christmas Day, my family always divvies the gifts up, then everyone takes a turn opening one gift at a time.  I guess it just kind of draws out Christmas and makes everyone watch each other open each gift.  Today, everyone just opened their gifts at once.  I tried to watch everyone open their gifts, being from the family I'm from, and was the only one left with gifts to open in the end.  Then all the attention was on me! haha!  Even though traditions differ, I think everyone had a great time and loved their gifts.  I feel especially spoiled because I got many things that I've been wanting for awhile.  Everyone knew exactly what to get me.  My favorite part of Christmas is seeing the reaction when someone opens a gift from me.  I just love seeing happiness come from something I picked out.  :) The rest of the day was a lazy one.  Everyone did their own thing, enjoying whatever they got that morning.  I went straight to work with my new Cricut machine and sewing machine testing them out.  Let me tell you, the Cricut is the coolest thing EVER! I'm so excited to get to work on my scrapbooking with it.

For dinner we had a roast with a lovely bottle of Cabernet that John brought along.  Another favorite part of Christmas is setting the table for dinner. I've always liked it, but it's better now that I'm older and get to use my own fancy china and place settings. :) 

I stayed in my pjs all day long, taking turns playing with my new things and watching TV, to napping on the couch.  Nothing too glamorous or crazy happened today, so I'm sorry if this post has been boring or if it sounded very similar to your own Christmas.  I feel like today was worth posting about however, because this time last year I was sure that Christmas would never be great for me again.  Being away from home, my family, my friends, and the snow had me thinking Florida ruined the holidays.  But this year, I'm happy to report that even though I miss many things about Christmases before, I now know it's possible to make your own happy holiday.  

As the year comes to a close, I wonder what 2014 will bring for Tony and I.  I've never been one to make New Year's resolutions, but there's just something about a New Year that gets me excited about a fresh start.  In the last remaining days of 2013, I hope to revel in the accomplishments and knowledge that the year has given me and prepare to leave behind  all the struggles that got me down over the year.  

To everyone who reads this, I hope your Christmas was as exciting or down to earth that you wanted it to be, and that you were able to spend the time with the ones you love.  
Merry Christmas my loves. <3








"It's about to be a brand New Year! And with that comes a new month, a new week, a new day, a new chance, a new choice, a new beginning, a new YOU...and now anything is possible.  Be sure to make the best of every day that you are blessed with"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Face Mask Sewing Tutorial

One Year Later...

A Bit of Holiday Cheer