15 Pieces of Advice for New Parents: From a Very Wise Mommy Friend

Today I received some amazing advice from a very dear friend who also happens to be a kick-ass mom.  She's been waiting to share with me some of her "mommy tips" until I was at a point where I needed to start actually thinking about things and making some decisions.  After reading through all of her advice I thought that other new parents might benefit from her advice as well.  Just like everything else, each baby and each person is different so I imagine not everything will fit perfectly into each life, but it's definitely something to think about.  I truly respect and admire my friend's parenting style as I've watched her own children grow, so I believe these pieces of advice to be very valuable.  So without further ado, here are 15 pieces of advice for new parents:

1. If you're having a boy and decide to circumcise, check with your insurance to see if it's covered. Many insurances classify it as "cosmetic" and it could get expensive.

2. swaddle! do it... seriously. some people say their baby doesn't like it, but if you think about it...the baby has been scrunched up in your belly for 9 months. it's comforting, and it will help sleep train. seriously, become a master at the swaddle....we did for about 4-5 months till their feet got to kicking, then we just wrapped their arms.

3. diaper bag- Are you ready to carry poopy diapers in it and clothes with vomit? Make sure to add an extra shirt for both you and daddy, cause the baby will get something on you all the time. Also I keep a plastic container with a lid to hold things like nail clippers, bandaids, plastic grocery bags (to carry yuck stuff), tylenol, gas meds. We used the container from crystal light power, it has a lid and is compact.  [for fashionista mommies like myself, a Coach diaper bag, although super trendy and awesome in theory, might get messed up..preparing myself..]

4. nursing- It's normal to feel weird about breastfeeding. Don't feel pressure to do it, but at least try to give him your milk for the first month or so, or invest in a really great pump system. That first month is sooo important. Also, the nurses at the hospital will want you to feed him every 2 hours while you're at the hospital. They will be nazis about it, really. Remember, your baby has enough nutrients in him from your cord to last a bit, so don't allow them to pressure you. Just make sure that he's learned to latch properly (even to a bottle if that's what you choose). He'll eat when he's hungry and awake. He'll do nothing but sleep the first day or two. Typically anyhow. The pressure from the nurses can be stressful...so do what feel natural. 

5. Talk to a lactation specialist before you leave. And if you choose to nurse, make sure to see one after you go home if you are having trouble. your breast may swell, put ice packs on them and it will help make it go away. it's not all milk that makes you swell, it's actually edema and that can clog the milk ducts. 

6. baby food- Remember when your baby starts eating that (if you are nursing) your milk supply will decrease. Don't freak out. Look at it like a drink with a meal. Same with bottles. We never understood why parents pushed 8 oz bottles on their baby then expected them to eat food. i couldn't drink 8 oz of milk and want eat a meal. Their little tummies are only the size of a ping pong ball. We never went more then 6 oz...after the meal. But that's when they really start eating. 

7. starting baby food- I would suggest, that you start with fruit or veggies. Not cereal. Cereal is more difficult to digest and only fills them up. More nutrients in the fruits and veggies. Lots of reading about that, and our pediatrician supported it. I think it two out of my three kids become such good eaters. I started my first kiddo on cereal and he's always been picky and over weight. 

8. hospital- Seriously decided on what you want you birthing experience to be like. The first time can be scary. The hospital will treat you like you are sick. You can wear your own clothes if it's a vaginal birth, you don't have to wear the gown. it can help ease your nervousness about being there. Also, they will ask you on a scale of 1-10 what your pain is. Here's what I learned in hypno birthing...this question makes you think about it...if you are in pain. Then thinking about it gets the ball rolling and then you are in more pain. So, I told my nurses not to ask me as it took focus away from breathing and walking.Oh yes, if you don't like a nurse...ask for another one. It's allowed. 

9. after the birth-Prepare for everyone to want to check your butt for hemorrhoids, and to look at your sanitary pad to see how you're bleeding. They did this with my first and it freaked me out. With the littles, I told them I'd let them know. remember, you have a choice in what happens to you. 

10. staying home- I just want to point out that babies grow exponentially the first year, and they do many "firsts" within that year. if you can, try to stay home for at least 3 months. bond with him, don't miss out on him because you love work. work will always be there, but his firsts only happen once. 

11. photographing the birth- do it! It may seem creepy and weird, but you will wan to reflect on it later. why? because you will forget. Also, have someone other than hubs take them, he will be busy focusing on you and the baby. It's so worth the pics.

12. Buy lots of batteries. I'm not kidding...everything baby involves batteries. 

13. Also, buy diapers now. if you see a sale...pick some up. if will help if you choose to stay home for awhile.

14.  diaper rashes- these suck. Each of my kids has gotten one that blisters. It happens so crazy fast, and it's horrible for them, and horrible for us to have to clean, knowing we are hurting them by wiping. they usually involve yeast along with general diaper rash. DO NOT USE BABY WIPES! Use thick paper towels with cool water and baking soda baths. st lukes in boise, has this cream called happy hiney cream and it's the shit....within minutes it literally makes it go away. it's part yeast cream. Just remember, don't use wipes, they have alcohol and will burn the rash. each of my kids shook from the pain.

15. lastly- Let people help. Let your husband help. See if a friend can set up some meals after he is born. The few weeks after birth, you are going to be mad hungry. Letting people help you, is blessing them. Take turns getting up with the baby, my hubby and I did that. When I was nursing, he would get up with the kids, change their diaper and then bring them to me to feed. If you bottle feed, take turns. Designate days maybe. Have grace with each other while he's still getting up in the middle of the night because both of you will be very tired. ok, and also remember that you and your husband were a couple first. Work on your marriage and your relationship...don't get so consumed with being parents because in order to be good parents....you have to have a good marriage.Bbe a reflection of love that shines in your baby's eyes. 

I just love the last one especially. :)  There you have it, my gems of advice now for you to read and think about.  Thank God I have such a wonderful friend in my life that is here to help me with my first time mommy jitters. <3 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Face Mask Sewing Tutorial

One Year Later...

A Bit of Holiday Cheer