A Floral Nursery
For the life of me I couldn't remember how I revealed Tucker's nursery when I did. Then it occurred to me, I was blogging during that time of my life! Something that I really enjoyed doing but haven't touched since Tucker began getting extra mobile and life got extra busy. Although the nursery for Baby Girl has been pretty much done for awhile now, I've been hesitant to just post it on Instagram or Facebook like I do with everything else in my life. I guess there's something always in the back of my mind saying, it's not quite done yet, I just need one more...whatever it is. Truth is, it's not going to be "done" until lil miss arrives.
Also, it's a big deal to announce a baby name that has been chosen. There's always the fear that someone somewhere is going to have some sort of story or memory about someone that has crossed their path with the same name or an otherwise negative opinion toward it, and somehow that always casts a bit of a shadow on something that is such a big decision. For me, the choosing of a name is an important one that I have only shared when I feel most comfortable. Spreading it wide on social media before the arrival of baby girl is not something I feel super comfortable with, but behind a thin curtain of a blog post, I think I can deal with it. I know a lot of you have been anxious to see what I've been up to all summer so without further ado.... a Floral Nursery for Baby Olivia.
Before we found out what gender we were having, I had been Pinteresting {of course} nurseries for both girls and boys. I came upon a theme from the Cloud Island line at target that I immediately adored for little girls and secretly hoped very hard that we were having a girl. Once we found out it is indeed a little girl, I was soo excited to get started on her room This Floral Fields theme started it all and I just spring-boarded from that.
Like with Tucker's nursery, I handmade the crib rail cover and the dust ruffle; matching the colors to the crib sheet and changing pad cover from Target. Let me tell you, I've never had so much fun making ruffles in my life! *Currently I do not have a mattress for the crib as Tucker is using the one we have on his bed! One will surely arrived before needed. :)*
I had seen on Pinterest and at few weddings I've done over the years these beautiful large paper flowers used for backdrops. I have been itching to make these for a long time, but never had a reason to until now. They were definitely time consuming, but oh so worth it!
The name sign I felt like was a steal of a deal on Amazon's handmade site. This baby came in 3 days, perfectly made, and I just took some gold paint to it. I adore it!
We were able to reuse the same crib, changing table, and rocker that I had used for Tucker's nursery thankfully, saving us a little on the overall project. I recovered the rocker pads with a light mint fabric that coordinates with the rest of the color scheme and threw together a sweet little bow pillow to go along with.
A friend of mine had a great idea before our gender reveal to use a canvas to catch the color of the reveal and use it in her nursery. I loved it and of course added a little bit to it with the crown and "it'a a girl". Such a sweet memory to have in her room.
The curtains have a fun little back story to them. I had originally purchased the white ruffled
shower curtain on amazon when we moved into our house for our master bath. Once I put it up, it just seemed a little too feminine so I decided to keep the one that was already up. I couldn't bring myself to send back the pretty curtain however, and saved it in hopes that I may soon get pregnant and hopefully have a little girl that I could re-purpose it for. Luck would have it that I was able to do just that. I cut the shower curtain straight down the middle, sewed up the seams and ordered the prettiest little rose shower curtain rings to hang it. It's one of my favorite little details of the room.
Originally I thought the room was going to be too small for both a changing table, dresser and bookshelf. For some reason an empty room can be deceiving like that. It wasn't until I started putting things in the room that I realized that the room is actually bigger than I realized. I was able to fit all three! Tucker's bookshelf is overflowing with books and he just loves going over and picking a book to read before bedtime. I wanted to do the same thing in her room. This bookshelf was a yard sale find and I just touched up the paint with some chalk paint and added a decorative paper to the backing. The floral garland was a fun project as well, just made out of felt, hot glue, and twine!
The dresser has a bit of a story to it as well, but not quite as sweet of one. Through my Pinteresting I fell in love with a little pink dresser with gold accents and was bound to have one for Olivia's room. I searched craigslist, yard sales, and Facebook for sale sites to find the perfect one. I thought I had done so with this little one. I picked up this originally white dresser one day and was told when I got there that the two bottom drawers were in need of being rebuilt. They are actually just drawer fronts. I was sure that my incredibly handy husband would be able to take the task on and I went ahead and bought it. I got home with it in the truck proudly ready to show my husband what I had found only to find out that rebuilding the drawers would not only be a huge pain in the behind, but also more expensive than what I paid for the dresser itself! Ugh! Treasure hunting fail. I refused to give up hope however and decided to paint it and dress it up anyway in hopes that one day my super innovative hubby would surprise me with an idea to fix it. It hasn't happened yet, but I'm hopeful. ;)
And of course, a little girl is bound to have bows, and this one will be no different. I had to make this cute little bow holder to go with her room. Made out of an oatmeal container, a candle pedestal, and some burlap fabric!
So there you have it! A sweet little floral nursery custom made for baby Olivia! I enjoyed every finishing touch added and hope this will be a very sweet and cozy place for her to grow in.
Nine weeks and counting until we get to meet her sweet face! I've of course worked on various other fun projects in preparation for her arrival and hopefully I'll find the time to post about those fun things as well.
Links to the goods below!




Comments
Post a Comment