Projects Are Great Distractions

This week has been fairly uneventful, which unfortunately means it went by very slowly.  I was able to work in a couple of Zumba classes.  That last class was led by a different instructor than usual and I learned how to "drop it like it's hot" so to speak. haha!  I'm sure I looked incredibly out of place, tall, skinny, white girl in the middle of the room trying to shake it, but nevertheless I had a good time!  The next day I was feeling happily sore. :) I hope the substitute does more classes from now on.  

This weekend was a dreary, rainy weekend (surprise! Florida's summers seem to be more wet than sunny) so I entertained myself with a few projects.  The first was to repaint my dresser drawers and nightstands.  I took our plain, old, particle board set and turned it into a sleek, dark chocolate new bedroom set!  When I told Tony my plans, he seemed sort of skeptical.  He is very good at taking the projects that I think up and turning them into my vision.  Unfortunately, I don't always have his eye for detail so it's always good to work together to get the job done.  But, since he's not here at the moment I took it upon myself to do the project on my own and "tried" to think like he would.  I sanded down the dressers and drawers, removed hardware, put down plastic to paint on and went to town!  It took me about 4 hours total for everything and I was able to put everything back together Saturday night around 11:30.  I even took pictures of the process:
 







As you can see in the pictures, I created quite a mess while doing this project. haha! But It was totally worth it! I love the outcome.  Tony was even impressed!! Next on the list of projects is a bench to go with the set! That will have to wait until Tony gets home because it requires a little more use of power tools.... ;)

Sunday I had a new friend over to help me prepare some of the decorations for our other new friend and soon to be mommy's shower! I can't post pictures yet, but stay tuned for next week's blog for the shower pics. It's going to be SO cute.  

Only NINE more days till my love comes home and I couldn't be more ready.  Last week was a tough one for me.  Missing Tony and feeling extra emotional made me feel off my game all week.  It's hard for people that don't have their other half leave them for periods of time to understand what it's like, so I try really hard to keep it to myself.  Not because I don't think people care, I'm sure they would offer their support if I needed it.  But mostly it's because the response is often, "he hasn't been gone that long" or "at least it's not six months" OR "I'd be glad to have my husband gone for awhile".  All of these responses may sound encouraging but they really aren't.  I've found that nothing anyone really says can help me feel better when I'm missing my man, so I just try not to let it show.  For those of you who have experienced either a deployment, or a TDY, or have gone through a long distance relationship, I'm sure you know how I feel.  It's like a lump in your throat and a pit in your stomach.  Remember when I posted that I don't eat much when Tony's gone? I must have been really bad this week because today I had the WORST headache from lack of nutrition.  Tonight I made cookies instead of dinner. haha! I know, all you moms out there are probably shaking your heads right now, but hey, at least it's something.  Tony must have known (he ALWAYS does) when I have a hard week because suddenly a BEAUTIFUL bouquet of flowers shows up at my work, making me CRY and making the other girls in the branch jealous. hehehe! 
He has great taste. :) 

On a slightly different note, due to some terribly vivid nightmares, I have decided that I need to get reacquainted with a gun.  Now before all of my "gun control" friends get feisty, this is not a subject that I care to debate on.  I'm not FOR or AGAINST guns, but I DO think that I should know how to use one in case of an emergency.  I also feel like I need to brush up on my self defense skills that I haven't practiced in...8? 9? years?  As a woman, and as a military wife, I will periodically go through times where I'm alone.  I have to be smart.  Don't walk in the dark alone, don't go to the stores at night, take my dogs with me places, lock all my doors ALWAYS, and most importantly don't advertise that I'm by myself.  (now that I've said that I'm completely aware that this post is on the internet which means that it could very well be public..) In the world we live in today, we're never completely safe, but I want to do whatever I can to keep as safe as I can.  I encourage all my girl friends to do something, whatever you're comfortable with, to keep yourself safe as well.  

Moving on to happier things, soon I will have my love home and not long after we'll be on our way to St. Augustine with our friends the Singletons and the Splains!  I can't wait.  Football season starts soon as well and being a resident of the South now, I'm planning on having lots of fun football parties with some friendly competition. ;) woo!

Quote of the day: 
"No matter where you go, However far away, A part of me will be with you, and a part of you, with me, will stay"

Comments

  1. I definitely know how you feel, and it isn't something people can understand or empathize with... except for other military wives. It's good that you're socializing with other girls that know what you're going through... that'll keep your mind off of it. Cute dresser!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Face Mask Sewing Tutorial

One Year Later...

A Bit of Holiday Cheer