Menu Plan-Week 2


Last week Tony's parents were in town and I was only able to make 4 out of the 6 meals I had planned.  But! All the recipes that I did make turned out deliciously.  Here's what I made in order; Tomato Artichoke Chicken, Chicken Apple Salad, Lemon Chicken, and Buffalo Ranch Turkey Burgers.  I did end up making the Turkey Chili tonight for dinner but I didn't take a picture.  It pretty much looks like any other bowl of chili. ;) 

 







The first week of "eating clean" was great and difficult at the same time.  I love the feeling of eating well and having more energy and just not feeling gross!  However, cutting out certain things like sugar for example was hard!!  On the second day I got a MASSIVE headache and couldn't even function.  I realized going "cold turkey" was probably not the best option, so I had some trail mix with some M&M's and that seemed to help a bit.  As the week went on I started to realize that I had no healthy lunch options!!  I would come home for lunch and head straight to a sandwich or a frozen Lean Cuisine.  I find that part of Eating Clean difficult as well.  I only have an hour for lunch so there's no way that I can whip something healthy up and eat and relax all before I have to go back to work.  So, I'm going to have to start prepping meals for lunches beforehand.  That'll be the next task to conquer.   The next difficulty with this change is where to shop for food.  I still go to Walmart for all my grocery shopping, but today when I left the store after getting things for Week 2, I was very frustrated.  They were out of a lot of the things that I needed, and didn't have the organic, processed sugar free options that I needed!!  Not to mention a TINY Gluten Free selection.  In Panama City there is ONE health food store that I was able to check out last week but I left disappointed as well.  Everything was extremely expensive and didn't seem to appeal to me.  Despite the difficulties that I've run into, I am happy with the choice I've made.  Tony feels a lot better too.  The two days that we didn't eat clean while his parents were here definitely took a toll on both of us.  It's amazing how your body adjusts and reacts to healthy food so quickly.  I find myself cravings more fruits and veggies and less sweets and junk.  (granted, the sweets are still my nemesis, but I'm choosing healthier options and in smaller portions) 

On a different note, the last couple weeks in Panama City have been very rainy and dreary.  On the 4th of July it rained more than I've ever seen in my life!!  Our backyard and the streets were flooded, many homes were flooded and had to throw out their carpet and furniture from the water damage!  People's cars were flooding out in the streets, kids were swimming in the neighborhoods, and we even saw a guy kayaking down our street!  Let's just say there weren't any fireworks or BBQing or fun in the sun. :( I have been missing home very much lately.  I find myself missing the Boise sunshine and activities, the health oriented culture, and it sounds silly, but the fashion!!  Of course when you live somewhere, the "grass is always greener on the other side".  But being away from home made realize how great it really was!!  There are definitely great things about Panama City as well, but they are just different.  Today the sun FINALLY made an appearance and we took full advantage of it starting off with a morning kayak with the dolphins.  After that, we headed to the beach and had lunch played in the ocean for a few hours. I probably soaked a little TOO much sun up and ended up with a massive sunburn. Ouch!  I had a nice long chat with my long time friend Sondra on skype, and we ended the day with turkey chili and an evening dog walk.  I definitely needed a day like today to brighten my spirits and soften my homesickness. 


Here's Week Two's Menu Plan. Stay tuned for pictures! :)

Menu Plan
Sunday: Turkey Chili
http://old.dashingdish.com/2011/01/wendys-turkey-chili/
Monday: Shrimp fajitas
http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-shrimp-fajitas/
Tuesday: Caprese Chicken
http://eighteen25.blogspot.com/2012/08/please-welcome-our-guest-christy-from.html
Wednesday: zucchini, tomato & basil pasta
http://thefitnessfreak.blogspot.com/2011/09/zucchini-tomato-basil-pasta.html

Thursday: pasta roll ups with turkey and spinach
http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/pasta-roll-ups-with-turkey-and-spinach/
Friday: mandarin orange chicken salad with cranberries
http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-mandarin-orange-chicken-salad-with-dried-cranberries/

Saturday: Go out!


*note: I didn't put every ingredient on my grocery list because I had a lot of the stuff already.
Grocery List

Produce:
Tomatoes
Avocados
Red bell pepper
Cilantro
Garlic
1 28oz can whole tomatoes in tomatoes
Mandarin oranges
Frozen raspberries

Meat:
shrimp
ground turkey (2)
chicken
lunch meat
eggs
Dairy:
Ricotta
Mozzarella
yogurt

Grain:
Tortillas

Misc:
Blackened seasoning
Orange juice
Salsa
Nuts
Popsicle molds
Dark chocolate
raisens

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Face Mask Sewing Tutorial

One Year Later...

A Bit of Holiday Cheer